So I try hard as hell to get to support Indie Authors, and it’s pretty much why I created this site. Not only do I want to help get my books out there, I want to help others get theirs. And so here is my personal Indie Shelf. These are the books which I loved so much I bought physical copies of them.
Also in celebration of #IndiePrideDay, When Angels Fail and Scribbles of an Idle Mind are free all day today! Free!
NOTE: Only one is not included on here, and that’s Lily’s Ash Garden Series and her Cottonseeds series, both of which are an online (and ongoing) graphic novel series. Chec out her stuff HERE
- First on here is A House On Sunset by Lindsey Fischer- Lindsay Fischer was once a high school English teacher with dreams stretching far outside the classroom. When her boyfriend of a year-and-a-half cheated on her, Lindsay found herself alone, looking online for a replacement. His name was Mike. That’s where the nightmare started. The House on Sunset is a memoir, a collection of reminiscences, scattering the ashes of two broken homes and putting them to rest. Each chapter offers a different glimpse inside the cycle of intimate partner violence, where honeymoon phases and traumas coexist. Everyone could fall victim to abusers. This book bravely displays the reasons a quirky, twenty-something teacher would, and did. (Note that my copy is the original version where she wrote under a pseudonym.)
- What Hides Within by Jason Parent- An award-winning horror/mystery loaded with dark comedy!
Inside all of us, there is darkness. Inside Clive, it’s tangible, and it’s aching to get out.
What Hides Within tells the story of a man held captive by an unknown evil. Clive Menard is a spineless slacker leading an ordinary existence. But when Chester enters his life, it becomes far from ordinary.
A disheveled Clive stands alone in a hospital waiting room. A series of incidences have led him to undergo unnecessary neurosurgery. A voice inside Clive’s head nags him to kill the doctor.
Weeks prior, a murder investigation and an unrelated kayaking excursion set the story’s interlocking events in motion. When a remorseful killer, a bomb-happy psychopath and a mysterious widow spider converge upon Clive, they bring with them destruction and death. Clive must discover who or what is steering his very existence before he, too, is consumed by the carnage around him.
With a driven detective following his every step and a vicious killer hiding within his circle of friends, Clive must walk a narrow and dangerous path, teetering between salvation and damnation. He must confront Chester and his own demons. But is he powerless to overcome them?
What Hides Within was an EPIC Finalist, was Runner-up for “Best Horror” in eFestival’s Independent eBook Awards and has been named to Best of 2012 by A Thousand Lives book blog.
- Whispers Vol 1. A Collection by Stuart Keane- Whispers – often unheard and sometimes misinterpreted. They make people uncomfortable and anxious. They can spread innocent words and they can infect the mind with hatred and lies. They can be a sign of secrecy or a symptom of utter madness…
From Stuart Keane comes a collection of short stories. Featuring a foreword from Catt Dahman, Whispers brings you nine horrific tales…previously published but brought together for the very first time. This is terror experienced by ordinary people in ordinary circumstances, when their mundane lives spiral out of control and become something a little more sadistic.
In this collection of horrific tales, we meet: A scorned wife with bloody vengeance on her mind; an expecting but unwilling mother whose foetus has other ideas; Tommy and his closet, which holds a dark secret; a couple who fall in love on Halloween…or do they?; a psychopath whose evening is interrupted by the end of the world; a paraplegic on a deadly train ride to nowhere, and a mutilated clown with a violent score to settle.
Whispers – sometimes we hear them, but they definitely hear us.
- Alright, I ain’t gonna lie, I’m not sure if this next one is indie or not. I bought it because it had some awesome authors who happen to be indie. Hoping that counts. Terror Train Anthology– The Terror Train rides, from city to city, from village to village, through states, across rivers and mountains. If only it could tell its tales of grisly murder, of demonic pacts, black holes into different dimensions and portals to other realms where the ghosts of train robbers hunt in perpetuity for that elusive bullion filled carriage that cost them their immortal souls. Behold the terrors the train has witnessed, see firsthand the horrors it has lived through and when you get on board, pray, pray you’ve entered the right one, on the right track, the one that does not lead to oblivion… Terror Train contains stories by new and established authors, with a guest story by William F. Nolan. All aboard!
- Take One With You by Oak Anderson- MURDER GOES VIRAL!
Charlie and Sarah, two disaffected teens dealing with depression, meet in an online chatroom and soon hatch a plan to bring meaning to their lives by encouraging other despondent individuals to help eradicate the “scum of society”, such as pedophiles and rapists who have escaped justice. Anyone determined to commit suicide is urged to first kill someone who “got away with it” before taking their own life. Why not, they ask, “take one with you?”
The idea goes viral and things rapidly spiral out of control. As they develop feelings for each other, their worldwide followers begin to enact a very different version of their idea, perverting its original intent and threatening the thin line between civil society and criminal anarchy. Just as they find the hope of happiness together, Charlie and Sarah must deal with the monster they’ve created, a global epidemic of murder-suicide that threatens the very core of their humanity.
Take One With You is a unique crime thriller/millennial love story that poses the question: If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, would you kill someone tonight? Someone who had done something terrible. Someone who deserved to die. If so, who would it be? If you wouldn’t go that far, what about your neighbor? Your friend? Your enemy? Who draws the line? Who decides who lives and who dies? And what if we all began to take justice into our own hands?
- More Than Scars by Sarah Brocious-Disclaimer: This story is a modern day Fairytale. Prepare for events that go beyond the normal day events you are use to. Plan on a happily ever after escape.
They say that the best way to heal is to find someone who suffers more and invest in their healing. Nerissa Meadows decides to make a change in career and experiences the strangest of interviews. She had been through so much but nothing like her soon to be employer, Liam Byrne. His scars have stolen from him…from his two little girls. It’s as if life has ceased to exist outside of his own front door in order to protect what he loves and keep out what he fears. He perceives his weakness but Nerissa sees in him a wounded hero. Her heart aches for his two girls. Their young lives have been touched by too much sadness! They need her and she finds that she most desperately needs them. Fairytales can take shape in the most unlikely of places!
- The Game Warden of Black Swamp by Quentin Wallace- The Black Swamp. Some say it’s haunted. Others say it’s the gateway to Hell. Only a few have ever seen it and survived. For hundreds of years, the denizens of the swamp have preyed upon the unsuspecting.
Enter former Navy SEAL Shade Channing, who, in a strange twist of fate, finds himself employed as the game warden of the infamous Black Swamp. Instead of managing wildlife, Shade finds himself fighting a horde of creatures straight out of mankind’s darkest nightmares. Mentored by fellow warden, Native American Shaman Waya Firehat, Shade must learn how to battle them all.
When Waya’s daughter is taken hostage by bank robbers that escape into the swamp, Shade and Waya find themselves in a race against time-and the monsters of the swamp-to find her.
- Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack by Quentin Wallace-Brackett Hollister. Gunslinger. Magician. When his family was slain by a supernatural creature, Brackett dedicated his life to protecting the world from the forces of evil. Armed with both his guns and his magic, Brackett fights to make the dark safe.
When werewolves begin to gather in the old west, Brackett and his comrade in the battle against all things malevolent, African Warrior Chula, move to stop the wolves from overrunning all civilization. But the werewolves have a new leader, and he may prove to be more than Brackett and Chula can handle.
- Outlaw Voodoo: Brackett Hollister Book Two by Quentin Wallace-Brackett’s Back! This time Brackett and Chula must journey deep into Africa in order to stop an undead war that may destroy civilization as we know it. Two evil madmen have summoned forces from beyond in a bid to conquer the world. As if finding themselves caught between an army of zombies and a battalion of mummies wasn’t bad enough, Brackett and Chula also must prevent the demonic forces within themselves from damning their souls for eternity. Luckily they have allies, such as the familiar Chief Highbuck and the faithful steeds with a secret, Fire and Stranger, as well as some new faces. But will it be enough to stop the combined onslaught of both Voodoo and Egyptian sorcery?
- Sweetgum Ridge by Quentin Wallace-Welcome to Sweetgum Ridge. When novelist Paul Hoover’s Uncle Saul passes away and leaves him a rustic home in the small town of Sweetgum Ridge, he sees it as a chance to finally move into the country with his family and write in peace. However, he learns that Uncle Saul had secrets…dark secrets. Paul soon finds himself in a battle with the same demonic forces that consumed his Uncle. Can he save himself and his family from an evil spawned in Hell itself? Sweetgum Ridge. A novel of extreme horror.
- A Voice in the Night by Dana Smythe-Marci Renault never thought that she was particularly special, but then she received a text message that changed her life forever. It was a picture, just a picture, showing a patch of shadow in an otherwise sunny park, where no shadow should be. The problem is, the picture was sent by a colonel – who just happens to have been dead for over a hundred years.
Forced to confront a family secret that threatens to overwhelm her world and even her sanity, Marci is caught up and plunged into the dark corners of existence. Alone, not knowing where to turn or who to trust, she quickly realizes that some scary stories are absolutely true, and that there really are things that stalk you in the night.
A tale of obsession and discovery, the From the Corner of Your Eye trilogy portrays a young girl’s struggle against dark and unknown forces.
- Like a Box of Chocolates by Justin Bienvenue-Like A Box of Chocolates is a book of 40 poems each unique representing several different kinds of genres. Genres from horror, fantasy and science fiction to romance, mystery and historical fiction as well as many others known and lesser known. The poems are a way of expression and are meant to be enjoyed to enlighten and expand the mind. A showcase of creativity that demonstrates a unique writing perspective and blends the art of poetry with the world of literature.
- The Macabre Masterpiece: Poems of Horror and Gore by Justin Bienvenue-Have you ever wanted a tour of the infamous underground we know as hell? To experience different levels of blood? To meet some of horrors most morbid and fearsome creatures? Or maybe you wish to get totally creeped out and be left in utter shock and suspense to the point where your heart is beating so fast that you can’t get enough? If you answered yes to any of these and you’re still wishing for a true scare, then take this trip down the path of the eerie and unknown and I do hope you enjoy all you are about to read and encounter. Who knows, maybe what your reading is lurking somewhere near you….
- A Bloody Bloody Mess In The Wild Wild West by Justin Bienvenue-What happens when a wanted man in Mexico flees the country to take on an oil purchase in a small town on the border of Mississippi and Alabama? The same thing that happens when the son of a recently departed sheriff of the small town along with the rest of the town tries to stop him, They battle in an all out bloody war. When Javier “Bones” Jones acquires abilities from a mysterious stranger one night he then decides to take the town for everything it’s worth. It is up to a young man by the name of Emerson Shaw along with the rest of the town to put a stop to Jones and his sinister agenda, from wreaking havoc and turning their home into a desolate ghost town.
- Opium Warfare by Justin Bienvenue-It’s 1920. The city of Shanghai has been invaded by the drug trade. The drug trafficking and usage of opium have taken the city by storm. While the looks of the city seem calm, deep within there is a secret and nobody realizes that the small hidden drug world is about to get bigger..much bigger. The underground world that was once hush- hush is now slowly making it’s way to the surface to corrupt the public. However only a few are aware of it, for the rest it shall cause an uproar making some frantic and some in awe. Soon the drug is seen all around the city and it seems that getting one’s hands on it has become a problem so much so that it causes an all out epidemic. One that no one will see coming or seemingly be able to stop.. One of the few people aware of all this is Ryu Tsang, a local dock worker who grew up admiring the city for all it’s glamour. When strange things start happening Ryu takes notice. While at first he brushes off the first few encounters he can’t help but shake the fact that something bigger is unfolding. Shin Shaojin believes the city will be better off embracing such change. He has a vision of Shanghai’s future. One that involves his business to bloom and offer endless possibilities to all that are accepting. Will the city overcome the dark cloud that is the drug trade or will it be taken in and become the change that Shin Shaojin believes it can be?
- The Golden Key Chronicles A.J Nuest-The key would unlock his future and the safety of his kingdom, but he never imagined the sorceress would unlock his heart…Antiques restorer, Rowena Lindstrom, finds herself the owner of an ancestral armoire containing a hidden key and a magic mirror leading to another realm!But the handsome warrior prince waiting on the other side is truly the final straw. This must be an elaborate joke, right? As she struggles to discover the truth, Rowena learns Prince Caedmon Austiere needs the key to save his kingdom. In the end, she cannot deny him anything. Including her heart.
- Chains Of Prophecy by Jason P. Crawford-Samuel Buckland is a young man who has it all and is planning for the future. Gregory Caitlin is a businessman and politician. He has designs to bring hope back to a world in need…and he’ll be damned if anyone gets in his way! When the two cross paths, even the angels tremble. An ancient magic has been rediscovered. Sam must overcome his lack of faith and accept his destiny, or the world he knows will suffer the consequences. . A skeptic who must harness the powers of demons and genies. A zealot who has begun to walk a darker path. Bound together by a stolen secret. Can any of them escape the Chains of Prophecy?